Friday 12 November 2010

Autumn leaves

I've noticed that the trees outside our house have not only dropped orange/red leaves, but some are one-sided and the other side is white. It's quite odd. I wonder what the evolutionary advantage is, to have one side of the leaf white..

Having never had to contend with this number of deciduous trees before, I had not known the pleasure of walking through piles of leaves - and by piles of leaves, I mean piles I don't have to rake up first. When leaves from a decent-sized tree are freshly fallen, I could easily be up to my ankle in them. It's a sensation a bit like walking through thick, long grass, with the same uneasiness of not being able to see exactly where the ground is and the obstacle not being of much substance. I'm not tired of it yet, but then I don't have to clean them up either.

No comments:

Post a Comment