Thursday 5 July 2012

Kyoto

After travelling all day, two flights and a bullet train, we arrived in Kyoto tonight.
Without trying to sound like a pretentious wanker, we have travelled quite a bit lately and as result each new place tends to stir up memories of a past one.
My first impression of Kyoto was of the humid heat, which took me back to Hong Kong (but without the smell). As we walked down quiet, one way streets with bicycles tethered to themselves, I was reminded of the Netherlands.
Once we checked in at the hostel and were shown to a completely separate building down the street, I was reminded of the place I stayed in Venice.
A feature of Kyoto that seems all its own are the vending machines that are literally 10m apart along every road.
We ate a late takeaway-style dinner (ordered through a vending machine, of course) of Katsu Don and Sukiyaki, then wandered through the local supermarket boggling at all the seafood, fresh and dried, available. Following advice from Andy, my work colleague, I bought some milk chocolate to try.
I am looking forward to getting to see more of this historical city tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment